Long multiplication is a technique of multiplying 2 numbers i m sorry are complicated to multiply easily.
You are watching: What is the procedure for multiplying by a one-digit number
For example, we deserve to easily uncover the product of 55 × 20 by multiply 55 by 2 and also then including a 0 at the rightmost place of the answer.
55 × 2 = 110 and also 55 × 20 = 1100.
But, numerous a time finding the product is not this easy. At together times we use the long method of multiplication.
Steps to main point using lengthy Multiplication
Multiplying 2-Digit by 2-Digit Numbers
Let us multiply 47 through 63 making use of the long multiplication method.
1. write the 2 numbers one listed below the various other as every the locations of their digits. Create the bigger number ~ above top and also a multiplication sign on the left. Attract a line listed below the numbers.
2. multiply ones digit of the top number through the ones number of the bottom number.
Write the product together shown.
3. main point the 10s digit the the peak number by the ones digit of the bottom number.
This is our an initial partial product i beg your pardon we gained on multiplying the peak number through the ones number of the bottom number.
4. compose a 0 below the people digit as shown. This is because we will now be multiply the digits of the peak number by the tens digit of the bottom number. Hence, we create a 0 in the ones place.
5. main point the ones digit of the optimal number through the 10s digit of the bottom number.
6. multiply the tens digit that the top number by the 10s digit of the bottom number.
This is the 2nd partial product obtained on multiplying the height number by the tens digit the the bottom number.
7. add the 2 partial products.
See more: What Does Oma Mean In German ? German Name For Grandmother
In lengthy multiplication method, the number on the optimal is dubbed the multiplicand. The number through which it is multiplied, that is, the bottom number is referred to as the multiplier.