The Camshaft place Sensor (CMP) top top the 4.0L6-cylinder engine is bolted come the optimal of the oil pumpdrive tower assembly (Fig. 28). The sensor and also driveshaft assembly is located on the appropriate side the theengine close to the oil filter (Fig. 29).
You are watching: Jeep 4.0 camshaft position sensor location
The rotational place of oil pump drive determinesfuel synchronization only. That does not determineignition timing.
NOTE: do not attempt to revolve the oil pump driveto modify ignition timing.
Two different procedures are essential forremoval and also installation. The very first procedure willdetail removal and also installation of the sensor only.
The second procedure will detail removal and also installationof the sensor and oil pump drive shaft assembly.
The second procedure is come be offered if the enginehas been disassembled.
An internal oil seal is provided in the drive tower housingthat stays clear of engine oil at the bottom that the sensor.
The seal is no serviceable.
1 - CAMSHAFT place SENSOR2 - MOUNTING BOLTS (2)3 - PULSE RING4 - DRIVE equipment (TO CAMSHAFT)5 - OIL PUMP DRIVESHAFT6 - SENSOR basic (OIL PUMP DRIVESHAFT ASSEMBLY)
(1) Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor(Fig. 29).
(2) eliminate 2 sensor mounting bolts (Fig. 28) or(Fig. 29).
(3) remove sensor from oil pump drive.
(1) download sensor come oil pump drive.
(2) install 2 sensor mounting bolts and also tighten to2 N·m (15 in. Lbs.) torque.
(3) connect electrical connector to CMP sensor.
REMOVAL-OIL PUMP DRIVE and SENSOR
If the CMP and also oil pump drive room to beremoved and installed, carry out not permit enginecrankshaft or camshaft come rotate. CMP sensorrelationship will be lost.
(1) Disconnect electric connector at CMP sensor(Fig. 29).
(2) eliminate 2 sensor mounting bolts (Fig. 28) or(Fig. 29).
(3) remove sensor indigenous oil pump drive.
1 - OIL FILTER2 - CAMSHAFT place SENSOR3 - CLAMP BOLT4 - HOLD-DOWN CLAMP5 - MOUNTING BOLTS (2)6 - ELEC. CONNECTOR
1 - PULSE RING (SHUTTER)2 - TOOTHPICK3 - SENSOR basic (OIL PUMP DRIVESHAFT ASSEMBLY)
1 - CRANKSHAFT VIBRATION DAMPER timing MARK
(4) before proceeding to next step, mark and also noterotational position of oil pump journey in relationshipto engine block. After ~ installation, the CMP sensorshould face rear the engine 0.
(5) remove hold-down bolt and clamp (Fig. 29).
(6) when pulling assembly native engine, note directionand position of pulse ring (Fig. 28). Afterremoval, look at down into top that oil pump and also notedirection and also position the slot at height of oil pump gear.
(7) Remove and also discard old oil pump drive-to-engineblock gasket.
INSTALLATION-OIL PUMP DRIVE and SENSOR
(1) Clean oil pump drive mounting hole area ofengine block.
(2) Install brand-new oil pump drive-to-engine block gasket.
(3) Temporarily download a toothpick or similar toolthrough access hole at side of oil pump drive housing.
Align toothpick into mating hole on pulse ring (Fig.
(4) install oil pump drive right into engine while aligninginto slot top top oil pump. Turn oil pump drive backto its initial position and also install hold-down clampand bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Perform not execute a final tighteningof bolt in ~ this time.
(5) If engine crankshaft or camshaft has actually beenrotated, such as during engine tear-down, CMP sensorrelationship should be reestablished.
(a) eliminate ignition coil rail assembly. To express toIgnition Coil Removal/Installation.
(b) eliminate cylinder number 1 spark plug.
(c) hold a finger over the open spark plug hole.
Rotate engine at vibration dampener bolt untilcompression (pressure) is felt.
(d) Slowly proceed to turn engine. Carry out thisuntil time index mark on vibration damper pulleyaligns with peak dead facility (TDC) mark (0degree) ~ above timing level scale (Fig. 31). Alwaysrotate engine in direction of common rotation. Donot turn engine backward to align time marks.
(e) download oil pump drive into engine whilealigning right into slot top top oil pump. If pump drive willnot drop down flush come engine block, the oil pumpslot is not aligned. Eliminate oil pump drive andalign slot in oil pump to pillar at bottom that drive.
Install right into engine. Revolve oil pump drive earlier toits initial position and also install hold-down clampand bolt. Finger tighten bolt. Carry out not carry out a finaltightening the bolt in ~ this time.
(f) eliminate toothpick indigenous housing.
(6) install sensor to oil pump drive. After installation,the CMP sensor should face rear of engine 0.
(7) install 2 sensor mounting bolts and also tighten to2 N·m (15 in. Lbs.) torque.
(8) connect electrical connector come CMP sensor.
(9) If removed, install spark plug and ignition coilrail.
To verify correct rotational place of oil pumpdrive, the DRB scan tool should be used.
WARNING: when PERFORMING THE FOLLOWINGTEST, THE ENGINE will certainly BE RUNNING. It is in CAREFULNOT TO was standing IN LINE through THE FANBLADES OR fan BELT. Carry out NOT stay LOOSECLOTHING.
(10) connect DRB scan tool to data link connector.
The data link connector is situated in passenger compartment,below and to left the steering column.
(11) Gain access to set SYNC display screen on DRB.
(12) monitor directions top top DRB screen and also startengine. Lug to operating temperature (engine mustbe in "closed loop" mode).
(13) v engine running at idle speed, the wordsIN range should show up on screen along with 0.
This suggests correct position of oil pump drive.
(14) If a plus (+) or a minus (-) is presented next todegree number, and/or the level displayed is notzero, loosen yet do not eliminate hold-down clamp bolt.
Rotate oil pump drive till IN variety appears onscreen. Continue to revolve oil pump journey untilachieving as close come 0 together possible.
See more: Here Is The Average Penis Length For 14 Year Olds, Average Penis Size Of 14 Year Old
The level scale on set SYNC display screen of DRB isreferring to fuel synchronization only. It is notreferring come ignition timing. Since of this, donot attempt to readjust ignition timing using thismethod. Rotating oil pump drive will have no effecton ignition timing. Every ignition timing values room controlledby powertrain regulate module (PCM).