There room instances where OEM design is so great that that lends itself to a broad variety of applications in ~ the high-performance aftermarket. Some good examples room the Mustang II frontend, Corvair turbo mufflers, and the GM HEI distributor. The GM one-wire HEI distributor is the world"s simplest, most integral style ever introduced, and thanks to a clean distributor cap from performance Distributors it"s also the simplest to set initial timing. For those unfamiliar v the term, initial time is what requirements to be done to one engine"s ignition system before the engine deserve to be started for the first time.
You are watching: How to set the timing on a chevy 350
On those gearhead TV mirrors it"s always a large anticipatory moment whether the engine will fire increase or not, however in the real world there"s never ever a concern if the job has actually been done right. The an initial step is to bring the engine come TDC (top dead center), but there"s a 50/50 shooting at obtaining the timing 180 degrees out if a couple of checks aren"t put right into place. Some favor to rely on removing the number 1 spark plug, and using a finger to feel for compression as the engine comes as much as TDC, and also then there"s the an approach I think is more absolute.
I favor to remove the valve cover on the bank with the number 1 cylinder and establish the compression punch by seeing if the exhaust and also intake valves space closed at TDC. Normally the location for number 1 on a Ford and Chevrolet engine are different, for this reason the message right here is no issue which make of engine is in question always verify the ar of number 1. The basics questioned in this article apply to every internal burning engine ever made.
There are numerous brands through GM-style HEI one-wire distributors on the market, and also with varying degrees of quality and pricing. I"ve do the efforts the really cheap HEI distributors and think they"re great for installing right into something one plan on offering the following day. My experience was the distributor cap and also rotor disintegrated immediately, and when diagnosed they were the source of a negative miss.
There"s no economy to be found in an unreliable part that will ultimately fail. In the last eight year I"ve installed four Performance Distributors DUI (Davis combined Ignition) HEI-style distributors into my vehicles with finish satisfaction. I confirmed a horsepower boost for my 1979 C10 ~ above the dyno, and also made remarkable gains in fuel mileage.
The many recent installation to be last year right into my 1927 Ford monitor T with a 350. It"s the custom-build method that sets performance Distributors ahead of the pack. With the cam specs handy i called and specified I wanted the DUI calibrated with an advancement curve for 87-octane consistent unleaded gas. The engine fired ideal up the very first time, and also has operation crisp without pinging ever before since.
1. In addition to gift able to check out the rotor call the number 1 plug in ~ TDC the clear cap DUI cap permits one come verify if the vacuum advancement works.
2. Performance Distributors clear cap comes finish with clear rotor, clear coil cap, and all hardware consisting of the coil insulator and dielectric grease provided on the coil insulator.
3. The currently distributor wasn"t at first timed. That was eliminated by totally removing the distributor pinch clamp and also lifting the distributor out.
4. The time (degree) clues on the harmonic balancer to be made more visible by sanding v 220-grit sandpaper.
5. The TDC (top dead center) mark indicated by a zero to be made an ext visible and also identified with a Sharpie marking. A bright paint shade works even better.
6. Only the left bank valve cover requirements to gotten rid of to gain sight of the valvetrain. To protect against an oil leak, a new valve sheathe gasket to be installed. Execute not over-tighten.
7. At peak dead facility the intake and also exhaust valve will certainly be closed. This is proved by check (spinning) the pushrod will turn freely with slight resistance.
8. Timing specs vary, but a good rule of ignorance is to collection the time at 12 degrees breakthrough once the engine has actually started up for the very first time. Use a time light through vacuum advance disconnected.
9. Here"s the brass rotor eight as the meets up through the plug wire terminal ~ above the clear distributor cap. The number 1 terminal have the right to be set at any point on the distributor cap.
10. Here"s the rotor eight perfectly aligned through the number 1 (plug wire) terminal ~ above the distributor cap. The initial time is set in this position.
11. Ultimately I relocated number 1 clockwise one place on the distributor cap due to the fact that the distributor fell into place easiest in ~ this position.
See more: What Does Crack A Book Mean Ing, To Crack A Book
12. Do a chart choose this simplifies setting initial timing. Power Distributor live wires are shown on both ends, additional simplifying the job.