You could fit virtually one million Earth-sized planets and also the sun isn't also that big of a star.




You are watching: How many jupiter can fit in the sun

*
byTibi Puiu

From the vantage allude of a human, our human being truly is huge. However, in the grand, cosmic scheme of things, the planet is however a autumn in the solar bucket.

*

The sunlight is a star at the center of the solar system, a sphere made up of hot plasma and magnetic fields. Its diameter is about 1,392,000 kilometres (864,000 miles), nearly 109 times larger than the Earth, and its massive is 330,000 times that of the Earth. In fact, through mass, the sun provides up end 99.86% that the solar system, vice versa, gas giants choose Jupiter and Saturn comprise most of the remaining 0.14%.

In order to comprehend the sheer range of the sun, it’s worth asking the question: how plenty of Earth-sized planets deserve to you fit within the sun?


Volume-wise, you might fit practically 1.3 million Earths into the sunlight (1.412 x 1018km3). That’s assuming all those numerous Earths are squished along with no empty room in between. But the Earth’s form is spherical no a cube, therefore only around 960,000 Earths would certainly fit within the volume of the sun.


Get much more science news favor this...

sign up with the ZME newsletter for amazing science news, features, and also exclusive scoops. More than 40,000 subscribers can"t be wrong.

day-to-day     Weekly

I have read and agree come the terms & conditions.


One million Earths: A visual depiction of how many Earths could fit inside the sun pic.twitter.com/Eq3qpl7Log

— Mike Whitmore (

The sunlight is simply an average-sized star, though. For instance, the red huge Betelgeuse has actually a radius 936 times that of the sun, making the billions the times bigger in volume 보다 the Earth.


*

And that’s nothing. VY Canis Majoris is assumed to have between 1,800 and also 2,100 times the radius the the sun. Therefore, you can fit dozens that billions of Earths in some of the biggest stars in the universe.

This illustration reflects the approximate sizes of the planets relative to each other.Credit: Wikimedia Commons / NASA/ A. Simon.

Earth is no the biggest nor the smallest world in the solar system. Mercury (0.055 times Earth’s volume), Venus (0.85 times Eath’s volume), and Mars (0.151 time Earth’s volume) room all smaller sized than Earth. It would certainly take 17.45 million Mercury-sized planets, 1.12 million Venus-sized planets, and 6.3 million Mars-sized planets to to fill the sun, gaps no included.

On opposing end, you might fit 726 Jupiter-sized planets (1,321 times the volume of Earth) and also 1,256 Saturn-sized planets (764 times the volume that Earth) within a hollow sun, gaps no included.


In the future, you might cram even an ext Earths or Jupiters into the sun. Together it drags closer come the finish of its lifecycle, the sun gets both hotter and also larger as it proceeds to fuse hydrogen right into helium in ~ its core. When it runs the end of fuel, the core will certainly collapse and also heat increase ferociously, leading to the sun’s external layers to expand.

By astronomers’ calculations, the sunlight is already 20% larger than at the moment of that formation approximately five billion years ago. In one more five billion years, once it will certainly reach that is helium-burning phase, the sun will turn into a red giant. It will certainly be so large at this time the it will totally engulf the planets Mercury, Venus, and perhaps even Earth.

*



See more: What Is The Difference Between Refracting And Reflecting Telescopes

*

Tibi Puiu

Tibi is a scientific research journalist and co-founder the ZME Science. The writes mainly about emerging tech, physics, climate, and space. In his preventive time, Tibi likes to do weird music on his computer and also groom felines.