1. Just how is Janie able to “tolerate” her relationship with Jody? �She ignores him and also stays out of his way as lot as possible. ◦ “The years took all the fight the end of Janie’s face… She learned how to talk some and leave some… she lived in between her hat and her heels, v her emotional disturbances prefer shade trends in the woods– come and also gone v the sun… She acquired so she received all points with the stolidness the the planet which soaks increase urine and perfume v the same indifference. ” (76 -77)
You are watching: How is janie able to tolerate her relationship with jody
2. What does the narrator mean by “For the very first time she can see a man’s head naked of that skull”? �For the very first time, Janie really knows what Joe is thinking and also how he works. She has actually become an ext wise. ◦ Janie starts to observe and also acknowledge Joe’s old age and decline in health �Her future with Joe, all of a sudden, appears narrow. �“She just measured the end a small time for him and collection it aside come wait. ” (78)
3. Why did the narrator say the the occurrence with the tobacco to be “like someone snatched off component of a woman’s clothing while she no looking and also the roadways were crowded”? �Janie to be truly humiliated and also publically shamed ◦ Mixon treated Janie’s mistake together a joke; Joe treats she mistake together a disaster �Janie stand up for herself in front of everyone for the an initial time, demonstrating a new side that the mayor’s wife not formerly witnessed �“You big-bellies round here and also put the end a many brag, but ‘tain’t nothin’ come it but yo’ big voice. ” (Janie, 79)
4. How old space Janie and Jody now? �Janie is almost forty and also Jody is almost fifty. ◦ “…Ah’m practically forty and also you’se almost fifty… Ah ain’t no young girl no mo’ however den Ah ain’t no old mrs neither. ” (Janie, 79)
5. How does Janie humiliation Jody around his age? �She says “When friend pull down yo’ britches, friend look prefer de readjust of life. ” ◦ “…Joe Starks realized all the meanings and his vanity bled favor a flood. Janie had robbed that of his illusion of irresistable maleness that all men cherish. ” (79)
6. Exactly how does Jody reaction to the insult? �He reaction violently, out of humiliation, and also slaps she ◦ “…she had actors down his empty armor prior to men and also they had actually laughed, would keep on laughing. Once he paraded his possessions hereafter, they would not take into consideration the 2 together. They’d look with envy at the things and pity the guy that own them… Joe Starks didn’t know the words for all of this, however he knew the feeling. For this reason he to win Janie with all of his might and also drove her from the store. ” (80)
1. Why go Janie feel bad around hurting Joe? �She feels negative because she doesn’t choose hurting anyone— also when the hurting seems justified. ◦ “Why have to Joe it is in so mad with her for making him look little when the did it come her all the time. Had actually been law it because that years. ” (81) ◦ “Ah’d ruther it is in dead than for Jody to think that Ah’d pains him… God in heben to know Ah wouldn’t carry out one point tuh ache nobody. It’s too underhand mean. ” (Janie to Phoebe, 82)
2. What carry out the townspeople think Janie has actually done come Joe? �They believe she poisoned the for objectives of revenge ◦ Irony = for close to twenty years, Jody has been poisoning/slowly killing Janie’s dreams/hopes
3. What is wrong with Joe? �He is dying of kidney failure. ◦ “When a man’s kidney’s prevent working altogether, over there is no way for him to live. The needed medical attention 2 years ago. Too late now. ” (the doctor, 83)
4. What go the writer mean by: “She to be liable to find a feather native his wings lying in she yard any day now”? �He to be going come die any type of day. ◦ Irony = Janie sees death as an eternal being (“Been was standing there prior to there to be a whereby or a as soon as or a then”) when death really introduces human being to eternity. ◦ Janie’s principle of fatality is a vacuum – a space "without sides and also without a roof" – signaling the emptiness and also eternity the death.
5. Why go Janie visit Jody ~ above his deathbed? What go she say? �She desires to collection things straight between them. She wants him to know that she want the best when they got married, yet things dropped apart as he became more and much more greedy and also controlling. �She wants him to recognize that she never wished him ill-will, however that she grew to resent him due to the fact that of the way she to be treated.
6. Top top at the very least two occasions, Hurston refers to death as “square-toed”, which method exceedingly proper or straight-laced. Why might Hurston describe fatality in this manner? �Answers will certainly vary. ◦ death is proper because it always does what that is supposed to do. ◦ that creeps in unnoticed and disappears unnoticed.
7. Why is that that one of the an initial things Janie go after Jody’s fatality is let she hair down? �It is symbolic the her new freedom indigenous the control and also tyranny of their marriage. ◦ “She tore off the kerchief from she head and let down her plentiful hair. The weight, the length, the glory to be there. “ �Janie’s womanhood is quiet in tact; the is something that not even Jody- no one anyonecould take it from she �Years the confinement and concealment vanish
1. What carry out you think the author means by “She sent out her challenge to Joe’s funeral, and herself went rollicking with springtime across the world”? �Answers will certainly vary. ◦ She to visit his funeral physically appearing to mourn, yet in she spirit, she was rejoicing the she was finally free from Joe Starks. �She burns all of her head rags and begins come wear her hair in a lengthy braid again
2. Why walk Janie dislike her grandmother so much? �Her grandmother made she marry Logan, and it was v this marital relationship that Janie lost who she was as a person. She blames she for being the human being she became. Janie was never ever able come live her very own life because Nanny made her marry Logan. �Janie is now totally free to live her very own life, and also to execute what she wants to do.
3. What go the writer mean by “Like every the various other tumbling mud-balls, Janie had actually tried to present her shine”? �The narrator describes how God made man—that that made him out of a jewel, but then the angels obtained jealous the the shine, and also broke up the shine. Then they were beaten to sparks and also covered through mud. ◦ This is symbolic the the spirit and also spark in human being that has been lost. �Janie knew she had a spark buried deep inside her, and also wanted to remove the mud and shine again. She way that anyone else is also trying to discover their very own “shine. ”
4. How have actually the men been dealing with Janie due to the fact that Joe’s death? What is Janie’s reaction to these men? �No suitors have come to see she in six months. They space treating her as if she is fragile and also helpless. They try to take care of her in every way. �Janie has actually no interest in them, and often finds their gestures humorous and also silly.
5. What walk Janie mean when she says, “Let ‘em to speak whut deh wants tuh, Pheoby. To my thinkin’ mourning oughtn’t tuh critical longer’n grief”? Why is this statement essential to Janie and also her journey? �Janie is no sad about Joe’s death. She must not have to pretend the she is in mourning for his death when she is no really grieving end him. ◦ She knew that Joe’s death was imminent and also had all set herself because that mourning prior to his death; she has additionally been waiting for liberation every her life
1. Where has actually everyone gone, leave Janie alone? �Everyone has actually gone to a baseball video game ◦ This sets the phase for her chance encounter with Tea Cake �While everyone goes turn off to watch a game, Janie is around to beat a game
2. What is Tea Cake’s real name? evaluate from his nickname alone, what sort of human being do friend think Tea Cake is? �Tea Cake = Vergible Woods. �Answers will certainly vary: ◦ Sweet? ◦ an excellent natured? ◦ Companion? ◦ Playful?
See more: Nib: What Does N.I.B. Stand For Black Sabbath Songs, Black Sabbath
3. Exactly how is Tea Cake different from the other men of Eatonville? �He treats Janie together an equal. The doesn’t put her down, nor does he treat her as “fragile. ” ◦ Janie has currently begun to build a strong, independent feeling of self �Tea Cake acts as catalyst and also supports her fairly than stifling she
4. What is Janie’s reaction come Tea Cake? �She is intrigued and attracted to him, but cautious ◦ Janie’s quest for the “horizon” is no one including materialism (Jody); rather, the pursuit of her goals need to be spiritual/mystical (Tea Cake) �However, she is therefore unaccustomed come being connected with a guy so involved with things beyond material life the she look at Tea Cake as ‘too great to it is in true. ’